OUR HISTORY

In 1957, Harry Kuhlow, a member of St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Eden, under the sponsorship of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, conducted a survey in the Boston Valley to determine the need for a new Lutheran congregation. Receiving a positive response, Grace Lutheran Church of Hamburg acquired a 4-acre site in North Boston as the location for a future congregation. Good Shepherd Lutheran Church began a Sunday school in the North Boston Fire hall on April 13, 1958 as a mission program.

One year later, on April 12, 1959, the Rev. Melvin E. Pingel, pastor of Grace Lutheran, conducted the first worship service at the fire hall with 102 worshipers. Members of Grace Lutheran who assisted Pastor Pingel on the committee to initiate the mission project.

Ground was broken on August 30, 1959 for the first unit, an all-purpose building, designed by Architect Wallace V. Moll. The new chapel was designed to seat 150 people and provide for a cherub room, fellowship and Sunday school room and kitchenette. Local Boston contractor, Norman F. Witte, built the 60-foot by 30-foot building at a cost of $40,000. This was the first church edifice to be built in the Boston Valley in 90 years.

On February 28, 1960, the new building was dedicated at a 9:30 AM worship service and a 3:30 PM dedication service with 304 persons attending. Otto Reinbacher, a Lutheran theological student, served the congregation during this period as a vicar under Pastor Pingel.

On April 10, 1960, palm Sunday, Good Shepherd Lutheran Church commemorated Charter Sunday with a baptized membership numbering 110 souls and communicant members totaling 40. Good Shepherd received its first called pastor on July 17, 1960 with the ordination and installation of the Rev. Lionel Skamser.

In 1963 the congregation built a new parsonage, costing $20,000, on the church property and celebrated the burning of that mortgage in 1984.

On February 25, 1966 an early morning gas explosion blew out the stained glass windows in the sanctuary, forcing the congregation to conduct temporary worship services in the Boston Fire hall while repairs to the building were being made.

The congregation committed $10,000 in 1974 to completely redecorate the interior of the church. In addition to installing carpeting and pews, the chancel area was clearly defined and enhanced with a new free-standing oak altar, pulpit and altar rail, built by congregation member Carl Pastreik, a talented cabinetmaker.

In 1978, Good Shepherd transferred its membership from the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod and affiliated with the Lutheran Church in America.

The congregation in 1979 approved a 900-square foot addition to the rear of the church, providing the narthex, offices and Sunday school rooms. The exterior construction was done by Duane Draudt, at a cost of $24,000. The interior was finished by members of the congregation.

Good Shepherd has been actively engaged in many ministries throughout her existence. Over the years the congregation has sponsored missionaries abroad, supported local ministries, and has always had an active women's group and Sunday school.

During the past 50 years, Good Shepherd has been served by seven pastors:

The Rev. Lionel Skamser, 1960-1965
The Rev. Robert Brueckner, 1965-1967
The Rev. Arthur Kaufmann, 1968-1973
The Rev. Richard Donoughue, 1973-1980
The Rev. Richard Siemann,1981-1996
The Rev. John Van haneghan, 1997-2001
The Rev. Richard A. Kwiatkowski, 2002-2014

Good Shepherd has been blessed during these past 50 years with many faithful and dedicated members. Some of the charter members are still active within the congregation. A few years ago the congregation adopted the mission statement of "Gathering All to Live God's Love". All of our members both charter and new, are committed to spreading God's message of love in helping all people live out God's purpose for them together in the world.

Daily Bible Verse